Sunday, October 10, 2010

William's Museum of Art

I met William on the A train one Sunday morning. He was covered with tattoos. When I asked him how many he has, he replied that he had "never counted".

As many of my subjects can attest, when I meet people with a lot of ink, I ask them which one they'd like me to post on the site. William offered up a tattoo he has of Marilyn Monroe, as seen by Andy Warhol. But, as such a tattoo has appeared here before (see Nina's ink here), I asked for something else. He let me choose this piece, a tattoo of the work of Jean-Michel Basquiat:


A closer look:


This is based on Basquiat's artwork, which is most recognizable from its appearance on the cover of a Maya Angelou children's story.







William also let me take a picture of his name on his hand, which appeared in Ina Saltz's Body Type 2:


William credited the Basquiat tattoo with David Sena at North Star Tattoo in Manhattan. Work by David Sena appeared previously on http://tattoosmonday.blogspot.com/ here.

Thanks to William for sharing his tattoos with us here on http://tattoosmonday.blogspot.com/!

Total Pageviews